|Screenshot Link » /media/gallery_index.asp/1918|
| Rick_Terminal (2) Mar 25, 2009 - 06:50 am » Edited on Mar 25, 2009 - 06:53 am|
|» Empire Total War BLOOPERS?|
OK - this really happaned!
I had only 1 unit of Line inf. And (in the America campaign) I beat a French army [who had 4x cavalry, 4x 24Ib cannon, and 12 units of line inf mixed with militia in a Star Fort! I'm afraid it was not heroic - I let their own cannons reduce most of the fort to rubble - the picked off the riflen one by one as they tried to figure out what a door was :( Still, it was an amazing "against the odds" victory!
Flag this | Edit this post
|News Link » /news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=17599|
| Rick_Terminal (2) Nov 19, 2007 - 01:54 pm » Edited on Nov 19, 2007 - 02:00 pm|
|» Is Crysis worth it, and what spec? (slight spoilers)|
Crikey. It's been a long time since my computer struggled with something! My spec is 2Gb ram, 7800 nvidia card, FX55 processor - which is I suppose all that matters. Even with this "outdated spec", I can still run crysis at 1280*1024 with high quality textures, and a lot of the other options up high too (such as water). Normally I'm getting around 30fps without much trouble.
But to get the best from this game, I'll need:
A new mobo & cpu
2 x 8800GT's (in sli)
4 Gb ram
Windows Vista (GRRR!)
Preferably a high speed HDD.
To be honest, the fact that I'd have to resort to Vista to get the DX10 effects puts me off and stops me wanting to have the highest quality settings. Since the above would cost around £2000, I think I'll just enjoy the fact that this game is pretty darn attractive even on DX9. (Can someone explain to me why DX10 isn't available for XP, or is it just Microsoft trying to force us to spend money on what appears to be a slower and less reliable OS?!)
But in Crysis I've noticed loads of weird glitches.
1. Textures occasionally corrupt completely making the game unplayable until you change the texture settings to reload the textures.
2. Sometimes game triggers do not seem to work, and you end up having to reload a previous game to try again. Frustrating!
3. If you skip the cut scene, the actors (such pyscho) don't appear. If you skip the cut scene where Prophet goes MIA, every actor in the game dissapears (thus making it impossible to continue when you meet the KPA nano-chumps).
4. Why the heck do you have to player it on max difficulty in order to get the Koreans speaking Korean?!
5. Sometimes the clipping seems a bit off - you can often go through a rock and falling to your death - and bullets often seem to be flying straight through enemies that are at point blank range!
6. Not really a glitch, but this game unfortunately does a "Half-Life's Xen" on us. Fighting the aliens is really unsatisfying to me, and the zero-g segment had me frustrated and lost. I wish they'd learn that it's the familiar that makes a game involving - as soon as you put environments in that don't relate to real life you lose the audience.
7. Install time - oh.. my... God!!! 1 hour 20 minutes on my machine! This is almost as bad as MTW Kingdoms! Still, what else can you expxect - this uses 6.69 GB of storage space... Roll on blu-ray, I reckon - this bottleneck has to go.
8. Story. Um, KPA trying to get alien technology... US in competition.. Awakened monsters... Oh why did they bother?! Still, this game is all about the graphics - period.
9. Stupid flipping flying levels! It really is unenjoyable and extremely frustrating. Also, stupid baby-sitting missions! You know, where you must keep someone alive, but the AI seems hell bent on getting killed? Cardinal sin in FPS's if you ask me. Hey guys, take a leaf out of Half-Life 2 Episode 1's book!
Unfortunately, having finished it within a day I found myself reluctant to play through it again - it's not that this is a bad game, it's just that I only found it interesting up until the alien part - then I just want to restart and play the first bit again...
So, is it worth it? Yes. Is it worth a new machine? Not on your life unless you really have money to burn.
-update. Let's hope the mod community pulls out the stops on this one. There is a heck of a lot you could do with this engine. Let's also hope the models of Half-Life 2+ can make there way in to an engine like this!
Flag this | Edit this post